St. Peter Parish Mission Statement
St. Peter Parish is a diverse people of God,
standing on the Rock of Salvation.
As the Body of Christ,
guided by the Holy Spirit
and comforted by truth
in a confused and changing world,
we are called:
- to proclaim the Gospel
- to uphold marriage and family
- and to grow in faith and unity.
St. Peter was established in 1938. The foundation of the parish can be traced to a survey of local Catholics conducted in 1934 by the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD). The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who lacked access to an existing church. Based on this survey, the bishop gave permission for the MCCD to start a mission for the 35 families living in the area and the Catholic students attending the State Teachers College. A priest from St. Fidelis Seminary in Herman began visiting Slippery Rock and celebrating Mass in Grange Hall. On August 22, 1937, ground was broken for a new church. The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 22, 1938, and the completed church was dedicated on November 13, 1938.
The parish remained a mission of St. Fidelis Seminary until 1955. On June 16, 1955, the parish became independent. St. Anthony, Forestville was assigned as a mission to St. Peter.
In 1993, St. Anthony parish, Forestville was suppressed and the congregation was assigned to St. Peter. St. Peter parish maintains both St. Peter and St. Anthony Churches.